Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Library finds on April 13, 2010

I didn't find a whole lot of information on my lunch break.  I did, however, find a nice little tidbit.  Iowa State Census  Collection of 1836-1925 shows Flora E Vail's family as follows in 1885.

  • William H Vail (37)
  • Francis M Vail (34)
  • Minnie M Stroud (12)
  • Edward W Vail (10)
  • John A Vail (7)
  • Katie Vail (3)
  • Flora E Vail (1)

William Henry Vail is my Great-great grandfather.
This actually helps clear up some information that I felt was odd.  William's wife Francis has been in my records as Fannie Rowley.  That name has been a dead end everywhere I look so I wasn't even sure that person existed.  Now that I have a different name I can search better.  It makes sense...Fannie is a nickname of Francis.

The last name Rowley also is odd.  In my records she has been referred to as Fannie Rowley (Stroud).  I see here that Minnie still has the last name of Stroud.  This means that Minnie is Francis's younger sister by 22 years OR Francis was previously married and Minnie is the child from the first marriage.  There are other options like her first husband died or she was raped at 22 but I don't want to think about that.  Sorry I made you think about it but I suppose they need to stay open as options.  I imagine life was hard in 1885.

Other notes of interest from this entry include John's middle initial.  I had nothing until now.  Do you know hard it is to track down John Anybody?  Very hard indeed.

I also have Katie as Catharine.  Jessie Vail (1888-?) and Emma Vail (1893-?) were born later.

I hope this new information results in some good data.

No comments:

Post a Comment